The following is a list of referrals for services nationwide and in your area. There is an ever expanding network of agencies and programs for people living with HIV, but sometimes the help you need takes a little work to find. Use the following links to lead you to the right place. If you are aware of resources that are not included in the list, please contact me and I will add them to the list.
HIV/AIDS: Health care, nutrition, articles, and referrals across the US
- HIV-Age.org A “go to” place for information and resources to assist providers, researchers, journalists, clients and the general public to find resources on HIV and aging.
- GMHC Gay Men’s Health Crisis, social services and advocacy for people with HIV/AIDS in the New York City area and referrals throughout the U.S.
- APLA The AIDS project of Los Angeles. Services, Programs, and Advocacy in the LA area.
- www.thebody.com, A clearinghouse of updated news and the latest information regarding HIV.
- SHIP (Senior HIV Intervention Project) of Broward County, A social service organization serving middle aged and older people living with HIV in South Florida.
- New England Association on HIV Over Fifty is a clearinghouse of information and resources for people throughout the nation.
- ACRIA AIDS Community Research Initiative of America has information about research and services, and specific programs for people over fifty.
- Project Inform Provides information on the diagnosis, treatment and research of HIV disease as well as public policy and access to health care in the San Francisco area and nationwide.
- Housing Works A social service agency dedicated to providing housing for people living with HIV.
- HAG, the HIV Aging Group on Facebook. (Must be a facebook member to join
- The Graying of AIDS. An education project on aging with HIV that includes photographs and stories of people living with the virus. The website includes a comprehensive resourse list.
- AIDS Service Organization Finder A website to help you find an AIDS Service Organization in your area.
- Lets Kick ASS.org (AIDS Survivor Syndrome) A national grassroots movement for long term survivors.
- www.sageusa.org (Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders) has services for the LBGT and HIV-positive communities.
- National Resource Center for LGBT Aging Technical assistance and resources for service providers and older adults.
- http://openhouse-sf.org. Openhouse is a social service agency serving LGBT seniors in San Francisco. The website has referrals to HIV and aging service providers throughout the Bay Area.
- The American Society of Aging LGBT Aging Resources Clearinghouse Has information, news, and referals related to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender aging.
- www.aarp.org, Has a comprehensive website with articles, information, and referrals throughout the country in a wide range of topics of interest to middle-aged and older people.
- www.gaycenter.org The LBGT community center of New York has lists of programs and organizations serving the lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender communities of the greater New York area.
- www.ALP.org, Audre Lorde Project has an extensive resource list of LGBT and HIV organizations serving the diverse communities of people of color in New York and may help you find a group in your area.
- National LGBT Cancer Network, provides advocacy, information, and referrals for LGBT people living with cancer.
- CancerCare is a national non-profit organization that provides free professional counseling, education programs, financial assistance and practical help to people with cancer, their loved ones and the bereaved across the country, including an LGBT program and a men’s program.
- Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project (AVP) An organization dedicated to end violence in all its forms against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
Psychotherapy, Counseling, Grief
- Hospice of the North Shore Provides information on the grief process.
- The United States Department of Health Offers referrals for grief counseling throughout the United States.
- The National Association for Social Work Has referrals to social workers throughout the U.S.
- The American Psychological Association Has referrals to psychologists throughout the U.S.
- James Masten, PhD, LCSW Private Practice in Psychotherapy
- The gay financial network Provides information and resources for financial planning fo r the LGBT community.
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund The nation’s oldest and largest legal organization working for the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, and people with HIV/AIDS.
Government Insurance (Medicare and ADAP)
Information on Aging and HIV
Recommended Treatment Strategies for Clinicians Managing Older Patients with HIV